Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 21 May 1994 19:37:08 +0200
On Sat, 21 May 1994 12:35:52 -0500 Winship <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Very  clever, Eric.  I take  it you  did not  consider this  a seriously
>intended question.

I don't know, you sounded too naive to be genuine, given your experience.
When you  type 'dit *.exe' on  your PC, you get  an error, not a  list of
files. How many systems do you know that take the risk of second-guessing
your intent by  trying to "correct" your typing mistakes?  It's one thing
to do that in advanced word processors,  where the only risk is having to
correct the error  manually. But say you typed 'der  *.exe', meaning dir,
and got 'del *.exe', now how happy would you be? :-)

>The question still stands, what *is* the default?

The default is to send the errors to  the list owner. In fact there is no
option to  send it to the  "From:" address. Many broken  systems do that,
without going through LISTSERV. Unfortunately you can't do anything about
that.

>I asked the  question because for some of our  commands with listserv we
>don't have  to spell out the  whole word, just  a portion of it  or even
>sometimes the first letter will do.

True, but there is a difference  between an abbreviation and an error. If
you type DEL, you get DELETE, but if you type DELT, you get an error.

  Eric