Roger Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Nov 1994 15:27:50 -0500
I have a confidential list which I presumed was unknown to
non-subscribers.  However, this list's FILELIST appears in the public
LISTSERV FILELIST and so is publicly known.  Is there a way to have a
confidential list which has its own FILELIST, but whose FILELIST does not
appear in the publicly readable LISTSERV FILELIST?

Another question: I note that if I set Notebook= Owner, then people who
send in REVIEW <listname> will get the header of my list's control file.
Is there a way to block the public from getting even the header of the
that file (which shows the list-owners' addresses)?

Also, do I understand correctly that setting Validate= All merely
regulates those commands (except SUB) which alter the subscription base,
and that anyone (who appears to be) sending from an authorized address
can get notebook logs?  Is there any way to prevent hackers who can forge
originating addresses from accessing notebook logs?

Thanks for any help.

-- Roger Burns   [log in to unmask]