"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 14 Apr 1996 08:34:00 EDT
>For the last few weeks, both lists that I manage have been experiencing
>a ton of bounces, bad addresses, timing-outs, etc.  Also it's been taking
>far longer than usual for posts to reach subscribers than normal. These
>two lists (my lists) are hosted on two different servers (in different
>states even!) and both have been having troubles.  Is there some kind
>of bottleneck or problem somewhere on a hub that's causing these problems?

I always receive tons of bounces, timeouts, etc. EVERYDAY for a
list with 3k+ subscribers and 20-50 daily distributions.

Without a very specific "bounce," the most that anyone can do
here is to use a magic ball.

One of the "magical" things about LISTSERV technology is its
method of distributing postings.  It is seldom straight forward
i.e., it usually is not directly from the LISTSERV host to the
list subscriber.

Each process between and at the LISTSERV and subscriber
(including its corresponding network and subsidary resources) are
a source of error and/or delay.

As a list-owner, you will be challenged to figure out what those
generic (and in this case specific) resources are and why they
might not perform optimally.

--  co-owner:   INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
URL:mailto:[log in to unmask]                       "BEEP if you luv LDBASE"