"J. Lyle" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 23:58:48 -0500
On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, W Schipper wrote:

> One of my subscribers (the the list ENGLISC) is complaining that he
> can't distinguish ENGLISC list mail from any other mail.  He claims that
> majordomo can be set to include the list name in the "Subject:" line.
> ENGLISC is distributed by [log in to unmask], and so I am
> wondering whether LISTSERV has such a feature.
>
> Am I in left field on this? Has anyone heard of such a feature for
> majordomo and more importantly for LISTSERV?

Yes, both Majordomo and Listserv can do it. In Majordomo you can add
what's called a subject prefix. It doesn't have to be the name of the
list, just a "tag" of sorts that identifies list mail.

Listserv has the same thing--you don't have to use the full list name,
which is the default setting if you're set to full subject headers; you
can have it read any way you want (the shorter the better for those whose
mail systems truncate long subject lines). In your header, you set it
using this line:

* Subject-Tag=

The list I co-own is Copyediting-l, and we have that line set as

Subject-Tag= CE-L

Listserv puts it in brackets and adds it to the subject line:

Subject: [CE-L] TOOLS QUERY: Word macro for un-embedding notes?

This makes for easy identification of the list mail (and allows those with
mail filters to automatically filter all the list mail into one folder),
but it doesn't take up a lot of space in the subject line.

Jane