"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 Sep 1994 13:31:00 EDT
>Can anyone help with the error message below? Is there anything that I can
>do? What confuses me(I get very confused by error messages!) is that the
>address listed in the error
>([log in to unmask]) is not the same as the
>subscriber's address that appears when I review the
>list([log in to unmask]) We do have other
>subscribers with an "ALF1.NGATE.UNI-REGENSBURG.DE" address,though .
>Not-Delivered-To: due to 12  Inability To Transfer ORIGINAL MESSAGE
>ATTACHED (rmail: Error # 21 'Permission denied by /etc/mail/mailsurr file')
>Reason: Host unknown!
>En-Route-To: [log in to unmask]
>En-Route-To: [log in to unmask]
>En-Route-To: [log in to unmask]

>id AA09511
>  (5.65c/IDA-1.4.4); Wed, 14 Sep 1994 17:45:59 +0200

Based upon the routing via the abstracted RECEIVED headers, and some
"DiG"ing, it would simply appear that your subscriber has set a forward
from his listed address to another host, which is UNABLE to receive that
mail.  Sooo, you can 1) set his current subscription to NOMAIL, 2)
contact postmaster@ (or root@ sometimes) at his list address suggestion
that there is a forwarding problem and that you have inactivated further
distributions until notified differently.

(NB: No doubt Melvin would have actually Telnet-ed to port 25 of the
subscriber's host address and done a VRFY on his userid.)

/P

--  co-owner INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
[log in to unmask] "Right bullet, wrong target" s/me      +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg. -- Penn State Univ -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA