Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:06:11 -0400
"LISTSERV list owners' forum" <[log in to unmask]> wrote on
04/27/2004 02:32:22 PM:

> We currently use LSMTP as a means of providing each of our customers
with a
> personalized email address. In short a customer may have the email
address
> [log in to unmask] which they can promote. When an email is sent to the
> @freelife.com address it is forwarded to their real email address. We
> configure this in the config.dat file and this file is regenerated every
10
> minutes.
>
> Our growing concern is spam. It seems that we are forwarding an
incredible
> amount of garbage email to our customers real email addresses. Does
anyone
> have any recommendations on what we could implement to reduce the amount
of
> spam that comes into LSMTP and is forwarded on.

The obvious solution is to place a spam filter in front of the
freelife.com server. There are a number of open source solutions if money
is an issue.  I like MIMEDefang. (http://www.mimedefang.org) because it
interacts with sendmail and can modify the responses in the SMTP
conversation.  If you purchase the commercial version - CanIT Pro -  it
has the ability to create different streams with unique filter settings.

---

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM / Hormel's new miracle meat in a can
Tastes fine, saves time. / If you want something grand, / Ask for SPAM!
         - Hormel's 1937 jingle for SPAM

William Brown
Messaging/Filtering Services
Erie 1 BOCES