Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 1 Jan 1998 16:42:14 -0700
On Thu, 1 Jan 1998 17:02:53 -0600, Betty Harris <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hope everyone is having a decent new year. :)

You too!  (But if you're writing today probably you aren't...)

>I have a problem.

>Someone is getting mail from my list ([log in to unmask])
>but is not in the subscriber's list that I can find.  ...
>Here's the guy that's getting the unwanted mail:
>>From: Paolo Pizzi <[log in to unmask]>
>
>and here's a message header from a list message he received:
>
>and this address [log in to unmask] *is* subscribed to
>my list.  Is this the person who is mailbombing him??

Maybe.  At any rate some kind of automatic forwarding is setup at
m-net.arbornet.org to pass msgs on.  You could contact the POSTMASTER@... for
possible help.  It is also possible somebody else got access to that account and
the 'liebe' user may be wondering where their mail is.  You could also try
finger and see if you get a name that means anything to Mr. Pizzi, but don't
count on this.

>What recourse does this person have in terms of being mailbombed
>like that?  Anyone know?  I am going to suggest that he document
>this situation and at least go to the offender's ISP on it.

Basically no legal recourse.  You have to prove significant injury, and
malicious intent and ....  It costs more to sue for this stuff than the dmages
you might collect.  You could seek injuctive relief, but it would still be hard
to make it stick since it is so easy to masquerade as someone else.  Plus I
suspect he is in Italy and that only complicates matters further.

>Right now, I'm going to go quiet set nomail for the liebe address
>and see if that stops list mail from going to the timeelapsed
>address to confirm my suspicions while I wait to hear back
>from you guys.

Good idea!  This may only stop mail from your list however.  If other lists are
forwarded through the same address (stupid but possible) then just nuke the
subscription, package up all the headers and send to
[log in to unmask] with a request to terminate the users service.  If
they are more clever, well that just makes it harder to prove.

 Ben Parker .......... (Aurora, CO) ........... [log in to unmask]