Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 21:55:56 -0500
Shahrukh Merchant said:

> The second is a little more disturbing.  It's a terse and unhelpful reply
> to my request to a postmaster to fix their backwards mailers that attempt
> to send messages for 31(!) days, and let you know for that it didn't go
> through the first time only 8 days later!

I'm also suffering through a blizzard of bounces from
demon.co.uk.

> His reply (in its entirety, except for headers and replication of my msg):
> >
> >Sorry this is not possible.

We got a longer explanation a while ago.  Telephone calls in the
UK are expensive and they have subscribers whose systems are
configured to dial in one a *week* for mail.  For them, they
obviously have to have the timeout at 8 days.  <sigh>

Our subscribers through this system have been schools and some
individual kids.  I suspect that this is the only way they can
afford to be on the net.

                          Peace,  Dan

<<  Daniel D. Wheeler          Internet:  [log in to unmask]  >>
<<  University of Cincinnati     Bitnet:  wheeler@ucbeh       >>