Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:26:09 EDT
On Thu, 27 Jun 1996 08:20:07 -0400 you said:
>                                      Tough call- does the company bend to
>the will of the (usually a minority) workers, or does LSOFT adjust to suit
>its customers (listowners and members)?

You have the question wrong.  It should be "does L-Soft willfully violate
Internet standards for mail just to please sites that run non-compliant
mail software, or do sites that run non-compliant mail software either
a) buy compliant mail software, or b) complain to the non-complying mail
software vendor loudly enough that the vendor redesigns the product to
come into compliance".

Begin(flame)

Personally I'm sick and tired of sites that send back totally unhelpful
and uninformative messages to the effect of "The mail couldn't be delivered
but we're not going to tell you who caused the error" and other idiotic
hacks.  If a company goes to the trouble to provide Internet access to
its employees, it should go the next step and provide its employees with
reasonable mail software that complies with recognized standards (RFC821
and RFC822 come to mind).  I'm mindful of a certain major Internet service
provider who often bounces mail back with "ambiguous address" errors.
The provider is serious, but his mail software is seriously hosed if
it can't even figure out who the mail is for.

End(flame)

#include <std-disclaimer.h>

Nathan