John Witherspoon <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 10:36:43 EST
On Tue, 26 Mar 1996 09:37:55 -0600 J. R. Lankford said:

>Thanks for the answer, John.  The thing is that we've been up and running
>for months.  Usually mail comes through almost instantly.  These kinds of
>delays are new and very exaggerated--days instead of hours.  I'm sure
>something is wrong.

I am not a systems expert, but there can be any number of reasons for this
including the system being overdue for a reboot, hard disk having read/write
problems, a virus having gotten started up on the system, some sort of
infinite loop taking place, etc.  I would be sure to mention the problem
to my system administrator at once.  If he is not already aware of the
difficulty (and he probably is) he might be grateful for the notice of
something amiss; extreme delays can be warnings of a system about to
crash or other major pain-in-the-butt problems for systems personnel.

-- John Witherspoon
   American University
   Washington, DC