Wes Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 30 Jun 1994 13:27:04 EDT
>Never mind Texas! Look at the weirdo message I got from BELOIT.EDU! What does
>it mean? (My list is open/public/anyone can subscribe...). The subscriber in
>question IS on the list.
>    bellmail: cannot append to /usr/spoo/mail/robertso
>    bellmail: cannot create // dead letter
>    bellmail: error closing file: Bad file number
>    550<[log in to unmask] Insufficient Permission
>
>   What does it mean, "insufficient permission"?

This appears to be from a Unix system, so I'll explain it within that
context.

The "cannot append to /usr/spool/mail/robertso" usually means that:
        - the mailbox /usr/spool/mail/robertso" has reached its
          maximum allowable size, or
        - the directory /usr/spool/mail (which usually contains
          everyone's mailboxes on a Unix system) has run out of
          disk space, or
        - the file permissions on the file have been changed, such
          that the mailer program does not have write permission.
Which of these is your subscriber suffering?  Who knows...

I would wait a day or so, then try again.  If you still receive
these errors, drop a note to [log in to unmask]

--Wes