Bill Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Jul 1993 16:13:31 CST
On Fri, 23 Jul 1993 15:49:13 EDT, John Arnfield
   <[log in to unmask]> said:
>I have recently been asked to enter a subscription for a person using an IP
>number address, i.e. of the form
>           userid@[141.65.128.48]

This is a valid address.  LMAIL, LISTSERV's DIST protocol, XMAILER,
and IBM's SMTP (for VM) all support this format.  (I don't have access
to SMTP for MVS, so couldn't test it, but I'm pretty sure it does too.)

>                                    but I am concerned about what will happen
>if I ADD a subscriber using such a format.

All the major pieces of software between your list and this user should
be able to handle the format.

>I am not sure why this person wishes to be subscribed in this way but her
>'signature' shouts about not using auto-reply

This, it seems to me, is a more serious issue.  Do you want someone on
your list with whom other subscribers (possibly) can't communicate?

>                                              and she has indicated that the
>host she is on is rather unstable.

As a list owner, I would think you'd feel that this is a still *more*
serious issue.  Do you want a subscriber on your list whose system could
(possibly) be sending you rejections every other posting?

Those are some of the issues involved.  Only you can weigh their merits.

If it were me, I'd add her for a while and see what happens.  But, at the
first hint of trouble, I'd be inclined to dump her.

Bill