"J. R. Lankford" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 13:28:21 -0600
Ed, thanks for your help, though all I needed was technical info.  Here are
some responses.

>OUCH! Did the subscribers have any say in this? I would be pretty upset if I
>was forced to get email all day long when I had specifically asked to be
>getting one message a day.

Of course I put this to the list before doing it.

>So, now everyone must receive all messages as they arrive throughout the day
>that do not have a valid Topic on them AND they cannot reset their
>subscriptions to DIGest. Are your subscribers schoolchildren?

I don't think you're getting what we've done.  We're USING the "other"
topic to distribute normal list mail.  Topic mail is the exception which is
why I came up with unique prefixes.  You couldn't know our list, so why
automatically assume something's wrong?  We don't do general discussion.
99% of our normal messages are prefixed by sub: or crit: or talk: so it was
easy to use "other" to deliver them to everyone.

>ALL does *not* include OTHER.

Uh oh!  Thanks for telling me that.

>By "labelled" I assume you mean "with a Subject: line of". Messages sent to
>SCLAB TALK: would not be detected as intended for the SCLAB topic. Those
>with SCLAB: (or S: or SC: etc) sure look like they should go to those with
>their Topic set to SCLAB and I have no answer for that problem if you have
>done all that you said.

I rechecked and it's the SCLAB TALK that wasn't working, like you said.  Thanks.

>Do you have any reason to believe this is related to "Topics"?

No reason, except that it happened right after I set her topics.

I think I've got it now.  Thanks, Ed, and don't worry about my list
members.  They're fully informed, always able to comment before changes are
made and (so far, except for 1 out of 87) happy.

Jilla