Harold Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 13 Jun 1996 09:51:58 EDT
On Tue, 11 Jun 1996 19:55:29 -0500 Craig Gjerde said:
>On some list recently, someone who worked with PLATO at U Illinois back in
>the 60-70 era (Doug Woolley or similar name) wrote about how he practically
>invented discussion groups.

I don't know about this.  uunet (the old dial version) was doing news
for a very long time before most of the other stuff got started.

>Someone who never deletes old mail (we know who you are!) might have it.
>
>Craig
>
>You wrote:
>>'nother question: Is there a history of LISTSERV...how it came to be?
>>or a history of discussion groups?  I have been looking and not found
>>very much...I can find the usual stuff about how the internet got
>>started...but not the inception of listserver lists...

The original listserv, was written by EDUCOM at the old BITNIC.  The
programmer who wrote the code was Ricky Hernandez.  It was sort of
clunky, but some of us ran it anyway since it filled a need.  I have
looked, but I can't find a date for the initial release.

The following, by Eric Thomas is extracted from a file I found on an old
disk.  It was a LISTSERV MEMO file, apparently distributed with one of
the earlier versions of his "revised" listserv.

        Revised List Processor (LISTSERV@FRECP11), Release 1.5d
             (c) Eric Thomas 1986 Ecole Centrale de Paris

  group communication easier.  The first version of  LISTSERV, written by
  EDUCOM and  installed at BITNIC  under the userid of  LISTSERV, offered
  basic "mail-exploding" capabilities. People  with a common interest (eg
  network protocols,  issues related to handicapped  people in education,
  system administration problems)  were grouped in a list  which was then
  stored on LISTSERV. They could then communicate with each other by sen-
  ding mail to  a special network address (eg UG-L@BITNIC).  Any piece of
  mail sent to these special user-ids would then be automatically distri-
  buted by the list server to each  and every person on the list. You did
  not have to know all the names and network addresses of the people sub-
  scribed to  the list. The  usual messages  sent by the  mailing systems
  when mail  has been successfully delivered  were sent to LISTSERV  -- a
  big relief  for the sender...  People could join  a list by  asking the
  "list coordinator" (actually the person  who maintains the list server)
  to be added to the list and it was a very convenient way to meet people
  and participate in interesting discussions/forums.

    As LISTSERV became  popular and the number of lists  grew, it started
  to show some weaknesses and  limitations. Even though LISTSERV was ins-
  talled at a central site, it generated a very important traffic because
  there was an important number of  people from distant nodes in the net-
  work. If there  were ten persons of  the same node on a  given list, it
  sent ten copies of each piece of mail to the node. List maintenance be-
  came a problem  because of the evergrowing number of  requests for sub-
  scription. Mail headers became bigger and  bigger, and 30 lines was not
  an uncommon size. Some non-VM  users had troubles accessing the server,
  could not send commands  nor mail to it and received  files in a format
  their system was not able to read.  Non-mail files could not be sent to
  a list. The server was often caught  looping on a rejection mail from a
  network  mailer. No  help  or command  description  was available,  and
  unknown  commands  were  ignored.  Sending a  "HELP"  command  did  not
  produce any kind of answer from the server.

    Revised LISTSERV is  a brand new list processor  which was developped
  at the Ecole  Centrale de Paris in France to  overcome the restrictions
  and lack of functionnality of the first version of LISTSERV. It retains
  the basics of the old LISTSERV and provides good ascending compatibili-
  ty,  while offering  more sophisticated  functions, helpfiles  and more
  user-friendliness. Revised  LISTSERVs can be linked  together to create
  peer lists for better network efficiency in a way that is nearly trans-
  parent for the user. Users can send a command to the server to subscri-
  be to  a list. For more  information about the differences  between the
  BITNIC-type LISTSERV  and Revised LISTSERV, send  the following command
  to the nearest Revised LISTSERV:   Info FEATures   (or just: I FEAT)

And from the same time frame, there is the file LSERV INFO2 from BITNIC.

              BITNET Network Information Center
                        (INFO@BITNIC)
EDUCOM         PO Box 364, Princeton NJ 08540   609-734-1878

                          LISTSERV

                 BITNIC's Mail List Server

Sending the same message to more than one person occurs com-
monly  enough  that  most  electronic mail/messaging systems
have special provisions for it.  Multiple userids in the  TO
(destination)  field is the simplest approach; and some sys-
tems allow the user to define a list of recipients, then re-
fer to the list by name in the TO field.

Though lists represent a convenient way to  handle  multiple
addressees,  significant  problems do sometimes arise.  Fre-
quently lists become so long that mail  headers  are  longer
than  the  message  itself.    Also, individual members of a
group that uses lists often must create and  maintain  those
lists  themselves.    If  group  membership changes, several
lists for the same group may then exist, each with different
entries.

In the BITNET messaging environment, LISTSERV provides mail-
ing list capabilities that overcome these problems and  make
group communications quite straightforward.

Anyone who can send mail to BITNIC can use LISTSERV. To send
to a list use the list name for the userid and BITNIC as the
site name.

LISTSERV  will  then generate a copy of the message for each
individual userid in the named list.    Each  recipient  re-
ceives  the  same  text but the TO fields contain individual
userids along with a comment indicating the message was sent
to a list and identifying the list name.  This shortens  the
headers  yet  still  notifies the recipient that the message
was sent to a list.  Of course, the recipient  can  communi-
cate  a response to the group using the same list.  All list
members use the same list for group communications, thus al-
leviating the problem of multiple versions of a list  within
a group.

BITNET  users  may request that their own lists be available
via LISTSERV on BITNIC. Alternatively, users may acquire the
LISTSERV code from BITNIC  to  be  run  at  their  own  site
(VM/CMS  sites  with REXX).  Send requests for more informa-
tion, to establish a list,  or  for  the  LISTSERV  code  to
[log in to unmask]    Please  include  your  name, userid and node
name.