Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 17:38:31 -0300
This seems like a pretty effective way to confuse people.

>Our default subscription option is NOMAIL.

I understand the motive -- people _ought_ to understand about lists --
but it's so counterintuitive that it seems to me guaranteed to confuse
lots of people who otherwise might get it.  I think if I encountered
it as a default I might well not recognize it (I've seen the upfront
material from dozens of lists now, and would hardly read yet another
one, looking for how the listowner might have tried to trick me), and
wonder why I hadn't received mail from a list I'd subscribed to.

If I'd bought something, I'd be surprised to find that there was
another, separate step involved in actually arranging to have it
delivered.

-- Russ

St. Thomas University
http://www.stu.ca/~hunt/