Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 16 Aug 1994 22:41:06 -0500
Dear Kurt,

Thank you for your prompt response to the letter that Jeff
forwarded to you.  I'm actually a bystander here.  There has been
a discussion on the LSTOWN-L list about a problem that occurred
on the MINI-AIR list.  I'm sending this message to the list so
that those who were directly affected can contact you directly.

I was answering a message on LSTOWN-L which said:

> On Mon, 15 Aug 1994 14:40:34 EDT,  Marc Abrahams wrote:
> >I am the owner of MINI-AIR, which has something over 18,000 subscribers.
> >We send out, typically, one item a month to everyone on the list.
> >(Only the editor is allowed to distribute items.)
> >
> >WhenI sent out the last mailing, the list went into a loop.  Most or all of
> >the 18,000 subscribers received 6 copies before I found out it was happening.
>
> What puzzles me is, if Marc is the only one empowered to distribute mail to
> the list, then howcome the mail from the misconfigured daemon at Alaska.Edu
> got posted?
>
> Naturally, this problem occured on a weekend (fortunately Marc was
> reachable).  My inquiry to [log in to unmask] back with a 'host
> unreachable for three days' from my local SMTP (odd since Alaska spent the
> day repeatedly bouncing that 50K message message at the list).
>
> I can imaging the problem creating a lot of junk in the postmaster's
> mailbox, but the failure to reply to the list owner brands the staff at
> Alaska.Edu as less than exemplary net citizens.  If the primary domain
> mailer remains misconfigured, I wouldn't feel quilty filtering
> *@Alaska.Edu.
>
> /s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (203) 486-2489 voice
>    Professor of Marketing                          (203) 486-5246 fax

As you can see, the failure at alaska.edu generated a fair amount
of anger.  It seems that the failure created an infinite loop
that caused a load of over 100,000 unnecessary messages.
Furthermore, no response has been received to inquires sent to

The KIDLINK list was not affected by the loop.  Our list filter
recognized the message as an error message and did not allow it
to be posted to the list.  But I got the message.  This enabled
me to examine the header so that I could answer the question
raised above about how it was possible for a loop to occur on a
fully moderated list.

Moderated lists accept postings only from the people listed as
the editors of the list.  The error messages sent from alaska.edu
contained a from: line saying that the message was from the list
editor.  This is what fooled the MINI-AIR list and created the
infinite loop.

Attached below is your complete message to me.  The members of
LSTOWN-L who were directly affected will probably be in touch
with you.

                          Peace,  Dan

<<  Daniel D. Wheeler          Internet:  [log in to unmask]  >>
<<  University of Cincinnati     Bitnet:  wheeler@ucbeh       >>