Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 16:06:54 -0400
At 07:25 PM 7/28/97 +0200, Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>On   Mon,   28   Jul   1997  03:53:20   -0600   "Michael   Loftis(ADMIN)"
><[log in to unmask]> said:
>
>>And I've been saying that my luck sucks all week! I won the $200.00 EASE
>>Home certificate  but I dont  have any  use for it.  It says that  it is
>>transferrable so I'm putting it up for sale.
>
>And just a  couple lines down from where it  says "transferable", it also
>says:
>
>"Remember that 10th anniversary lottery prizes may not be resold."
>
>By accepting  the certificate you  agree to  these terms. Sure,  we can't
>actually enforce this. If you sell  the certificate to your sister, we'll
>never know whether  you sold it or  gave it to her for  her birthday. But
>perhaps you  could have the  courtesy not to use  our own lists  for your
>black market search.
>
>  Eric

Is it truly "worth" $200 if you can't sell it?  I doubt it.
Particularly if an equivalent licence can be bought for $200.

If I won a trip worth $5000 to Tahiti, is it worth anything if I can't
sell it to someone (since I would never take the plane trip)?

Many prizes won on "The Price is Right" are unclaimed because the tax on
the prize is greater than its value to the winner.

I think LSOFT gave a bunch of stuff away that the winners are unlikely
to be able to actually use, and the stated value of which is questionable.
Remember, even if you give that licence to your sister, you're going to
owe something like $60 in taxes on your "winnings".  Blech.

A publicity stunt, I say.  Probably cost LSoft near zero.

"Our own lists?"  First time I can ever recall that a poster is supposed
to worry about who may or may not be sponsoring a list.

I may seem overly cynical here, but I never got my T-shirt, and
whenever LSoft "gives" things away I will continue to remind them
(and the world) of this.

Bye,
Stan