Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 25 May 2002 13:46:40 -0400

> This is a good idea; it's also a good idea to refuse to go through the
> hassle of poking holes in archives on people's whims.  I had one case
> where a woman was pretty sure her husband was going to lose his job if I
> left a posting public, and I finally was persuaded, in that case, to
> hold the list and kill the posting.  But even then, as I pointed out to
> her, Pandora was well and truly out of the box: 750 people had read the
> message, and some of them had certainly saved it.

Hah! A professor here recently made the mistake of mailing out his grade
sheet for a graduate course to his course's Listserv list. I was out of
town on vacation at the time. No one knew how to deal with the problem
and, of course, no one thought to consult L-Soft's documentation. Odds are
that by the time the unwanted posting was deleted, every student in that
course saw the full grade list.