Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 18:39:11 -0400
As I automatically indented the last line of my longish message, just sent,
to keep the non-alpha-numeric < away from the left margin, I bethought me
of another reason why binaries to an e-mail group are not really A Good
Thing.  I know that, on certain terminals in our library, the characters +-
when flush against the left margin are read by the terminal as "beep loudly
and hit enter key" (which, in the mailer, means advance one screen).  If a
message with a .sig file border entirely of +-+-+-+ hits the mailer, you
can just IMAGINE the result: BEEP next screen BEEP next screen BEEP next
screen ... And if that's the only message, so that "next screen" means
"repeat same message" -- oy, vey.

Other mailers might well choke upon reading binary files.

A VERY good reason not to send binaries.

Yes, yes, I know what some will say -- get another mailer, then.  Not so
easy for those without systems privileges on work accounts.

Mario Rups