Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:21:40 -0700
On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:21:15 -0500, Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have case-sensitive RFC822 addresses (pmw1@ and  PMW1@) subscribed to
>the same list.  When I attempt to change the options for one of them, it
>changes for both.  This occurs regardless of WEB or email interface.  Is
>this a flaw?

Yes and no.  RFC821 requires that the userID or Local side of the addreee may be
case sensitive.  Few mail systems actually implement this.  LISTSERV obeys the
RFC but as a practical matter in the case of CHANGE/SET/SIGNOFF commands (but
not SUBSCRIBE) LISTSERV ignores the case difference in the interest of doing the
requested command.  Otherwise nobody would ever be able to signoff from a list.

This is documented in a small footnote somewhere.