Bruce Dienes <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 30 Aug 1994 21:36:53 -0500

> Date:    Tue, 30 Aug 1994 13:09:00 EDT
> From:    Wayne Marr <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Topics=
>
>    Our list, the financial economics network, has four
>    topics= WPS:,APS:,COM:, and EDU:

When defining topics in the header, do NOT use the colons

* TOPICS= WPS,APS,COM,EDU

>    This morning, another colleague using quickmail at
>    Harvard is attempting to post to the list. We want
>    our WPS: subscribers to get the mail.
>
>    However, his mailer is sending WPS- to the listserv
>    (1.8a) and we are getting the message distributed to
>    69 people, when about 3700 people are on the list. We
>    know that the mailer at Harvard is doing this.
>
>    Question: is there a short solution so that we can mail
>    to all of our subscriber without using a topics command?
>
>    Or do we have to use WPS: or some other identifier with
>    a colon :  Your help your be greatly appreciated since
>    the mailing needs to go out today.
>    Wayne Marr   FEN   [log in to unmask]    Thanks in advance

WPS- is not a topic.  It must contain the colon, i.e.

Subject: WPS: whatever the subject is

If only 69 people got the message, it might indicate that you sent it
out as a non-topic (ie. WPS- instead of WPS:) and only those subscribers
who have selected Topics=All or Topics=TopicX,Other (or some such) would
receive it, assuming that all the others subs were set to Topics=TopicX
with no proviso for receiving non-Topic posts ("Other").

On our lists, we have a topic called ADMIN:, which all subscribers
select.  e.g.  Topics=WPS,Admin

Then the administrators can send a message under the ADMIN: topic that
all subscribers will receive, regardless of their selected specialty
topic.

Just a stab in the dark, but hopefully helpful...

--
Bruce P. A. Dienes                     Beware the iniquitous Disk Trolls!
Internet: [log in to unmask]