Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 23:07:55 AST4ADT
This probably isn't relevant to the list, but I suspect some people
here may have things to say that would enlighten me.

David Mayerlen says, speaking of reasons why someone might prefer
HTML,

> I'm working with designers as opposed to engineer types on the
> layout template for the email we are going to be sending. Here are
> some reasons for HTML.

> 1/ Some mail browsers including many (perhaps all) versions of
> Outlook default to a variable width font. If you place columns of
> numbers/words in a plain text email the columns will appear badly
> misaligned. You can simply wrap the columns of information in HTML
> <PRE> tags and Outlook switches to a fixed width font. Of course
> you could go and specify the exact fixed width font but you'd got
> to know what you are doing and make sure you pick fonts that are
> available on all OS platforms.

I guess I see this, but it sure does seem strange to me, to go to
HTML in order to get back to plain fixed-width ascii, just because
the 11-year-old whiz kids at Micro$oft set their mail programs to
default to variable width fonts.  Sigh.

> 2/ You can play with fonts. This makes a simple text email much
> easier to read. Headings can be bold and in larger font sizes.
> Colour can be used.

Well, yes.  Though I have yet to see playing with fonts make a text
easier to read . . . or color, either.

> 3/ You can include a few pictures. Not much more to say about
> that.

But I think the question was that the person wanted to send the same
message to these subscribers in ascii and those in HTML.  It would
be the same message.  I don't yet see why the decorative
possibilities of HTML (and I don't deny them) are worth enough -- in
email -- to create the kind of mess Micro$oft mailers make, for
instance, when they autopackage every email with an HTML equivalent.
If I want to send you something that really needs classy formatting,
color type, and pictures, I'll put it on a Web site and send you a
note telling you where it is.  Or send you a .pdf document. That way
I don't have to worry about whether your mailer will be able to parse
it, or whether it'll create a glob of unreadability on the archive of
the list.

                                  -- Russ

                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_    Professor of English
St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 452-0424
Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/~hunt/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~