"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 27 May 1996 10:53:00 EDT
>If the system on which your LISTSERV runs accepts "hooked addresses" (or
>the equivalent RFC 822 form to force routing), I think that no serious
>policy issue is raised for an additional hop at the origin, this way (my
>LISTSERV is at ICINECA):

>[log in to unmask]          <- normal subscription
>cid%polito.it@icineca  <- hooked form
>@icineca:[log in to unmask] <- RFC 822 form

>This I used (with self-moderation) to single out users to be reviewed,
>when SET REVIEW didn't yet exist. Now I use it (sparingly and when
>requested) to give users residing on unreliable systems a daily
>self-check list for documenting lost mail, adding for them a second
>subscription set INDEX.

Another reason for using this kind of addressing is if you want
to provide list service to a user who's e-mail system is not
totally compliant with the RFC's that LISTSERV uses.
Specifically, LISTSERV distribute jobs often pass through
PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM which uses the EHLO protocol that some
users' e-mail system reject and closes the SMTP session
immedidately.

Of course you will need to manually ADD, SET, or DELETE the
subscription (over time) and thus obviate the do-it-yourself
(user's self) nature of the administration of subscription
processing.  Thus, this mode is NOT A GOOD IDEA in general,
though specifically it can be REAL USEFUL.

--  co-owner:   INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
URL:mailto:[log in to unmask]                       "BEEP if you luv LDBASE"