Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 18:18:32 -0500
On Tue, 5 Mar 1996 22:32:06 EST, Bill Gruber wrote:
>...but one listowner continued to argue with me for
>much of the night: It seems that he was convinced that the whitehouse.gov
>subscriptions were legitimate.

Now THAT's amusing :-)  I've had some back and forth correspondence with
the postmaster and another communications staff member at whitehouse.gov.
They are NOT amused (are we surprised?) and have put the Secret Service on
the case.  The SPAM apparently originated from netcom and their net
security people are also scanning logs and tracing mail.  Methinks whomever
pulled this one had better be good because there are folks in the Federal
establishment who'd just as soon set a precedent of "it's not nice to mail
bomb your President."

With a tiny bit of luck, someone may convince Congress that SPAM is just as
bad as indecency (if not worse) and extend the same legal sanctions to mass
emailing that exist for mass faxing.

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (860) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (860) 456-7725 fax
   http://mktg.sba.uconn.edu/MKT/Faculty/Sewall.html