Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 Jun 1994 20:12:19 EST
I think the same could be said of lists hosted by INDYCMS.  Lists here
must also have a primary listowner who is a full-time staff member at
the university.  I have always made it clear that it is the listowner's
duty to keep the list focused and have had to do so on occasion.  I
was not aware that I had to kowtow to the subscribers and lower the
standards they agreed to when they joined the list.  (Kind of like
the 'shrink-wrap' guarantee--you use it, you agree to the license/usage
terms.)  For instance, I didn't ask the list if they wanted me to
do what I could to prevent spamming--I just did it and announced the
fact later.  The outpouring of thank-yous was almost embarassing...:)

I might add that I just cut off a potentially-dangerous thread that
could have developed into a full-blown religious OS flame war.  I got
nothing but thanks for that, too.

I've also been known to cut off redistribution lists when my polite
requests to fix users whose mail was bouncing were ignored.

Yet control is where you find it.  If I stepped out and said, this is
the way it is and if you don't like it, tough, I'd expect flames.  The
fine touch is in knowing when to be wryly humorous rather than wrathfully
holier-than-thou.  But human relations is (are?) everything, even in
e-mail.  :)

On Mon, 20 Jun 1994 15:28:55 PDT john riehl said:

>At USC, we have the reverse as policy.  I make it perfectly clear
>to the listowner that the listowner (or primary listowner,
>if more than one) is the ultimate, final authority on the list, including
>the contents of the list, and the list options (within acceptable parameters).
>Subscribers, if they refuse to accept this, may set up their own list,
>on their own systems.   (Lists at USC are set up for the benefit of
>USC staff, faculty, and students, and must have a USC listowner).
>In other words, lists do not belong to the subscribers.
>
>jr
>(john riehl)

BITNET:  NBRINDLE@INDYCMS  --------------------  Internet:  [log in to unmask]
Nathan C. Brindle, Student Activities Office
Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis
Staff Advisor, Alpha Phi Omega Nat'l Service Fraternity, Tau Omicron Chapter
List Manager, ACCESS-L, BRTHPRNT, EXCEL-L@INDYCMS and other lists
Disclaimer:  My opinions are my own.  Indiana University can speak for itself.