Ted Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 08:13:26 EDT
On Tue, 15 Oct 1996 00:29:04 -0400 Gabe Goldberg said:
>When I established my list ([log in to unmask]) I set it to require
>annual subscription renewal. List subscribers just shrunk by about 1/3, as
>we passed an anniversary of a major recruiting drive. Some people in fact
 (snip-snip)
>So I'm interested in other folks' experience with renewals -- do you
>require renewal? How long after notification do you allow people to renew

My experience with this provision cause a drop of 40% in subscriptions,
and after months of sporadic effort to get subscribers back, I have about
15% of them (ie, my subscriptions are down now from 400 to 300). I con-
clude from this that a significant number of subscribers do not value
the subscription enough to respond to an invitation to resubscribe (and
some actually do not read EMail at all). This argues for the utility of
the renewal mechanism, but I have discontinued it, since such a sharp
drop in demonstrable value of my list makes it more difficult for me
to defend my budget. A cynical reason, perhaps, for supporting a probably-
inflated list, but persuasive to me in these tough times.

>         Why isn't the same architecture used for this as is used more
>successfully for confirming new subscriptions and commands -- simply
>*reply* with a magig number/word/phrase in the Subject line. That seems
>more reliable, easier...

Yes, why indeed?
                                       Ted Mills

Faculty Resource Lab               Tel. 860 486 5052 (Fax 860 486 1410)
University of Connecticut, Rm MSB036, Ubox 138-F, Storrs, CT 06269-3138
   FRL Web page at http://yoda.ucc.uconn.edu/users/millst/index.html
Ted Mills, Coordinator                      <[log in to unmask]>
Madhu Vodapalli, Graduate Assistant         <[log in to unmask]>
Renee Sonnenblick, Graduate Assistant       <[log in to unmask]>

       A SERVICE OF THE INSTITUTE FOR TEACHING AND LEARNING