Michael Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:31:31 -0800

Hrm.  No, I am not certain.  However, I have not been exposed to the
combination of (1) superfluous spaces in the Subject line and (2) recipient
MTA that complains about "too many spaces" for any other list that I own on
a non-LISTSERV MLM.

I suppose that I could send a test message to the subscriber of my LISTSERV
list using another MUA/MLM combination to determine whether LISTSERV is a
necessary component of this problem.

Looking over the copies of the "too many spaces" error messages, the only
two originating MUAs involved are Microsoft Outlook and one that looks like
it identifies itself as "8.11.7p1+Sun/m4_8.11.6/CAS_CLIENT-1.18" from a user
at CAS.ORG.

If it's the MUA's fault, the blame can't be left solely on the shoulders of
Outlook or CAS_CLIENT-1.18 because the message that generated the "too many
spaces" error was replied to by MUAs at GMAIL.COM, YAHOO.COM, and
HOTMAIL.COM, each of which also generated a "too many spaces" error because
they preserved the spaces in the Subject of the message to which they were
replying.  I'm not certain if those MUAs/MTAs just respect and preserve the
spaces or if they deliberately impose the hanging indent feature for wrapped
Subject lines.

--
Michael