Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 16:44:53 -0500
Has anyone "edited" list archive files?  I have on occasion been tempted
to edit out spams that got through and junk mail, but never wanted to
try badly enough to actually do it.  Recently, I was contacted by a user
who was quite insistent that I remove his posts from the archives.
Haven't seen a court order yet <grin> but...

(1) If you edit the archive files, do you have to "re-index" the
archives?  How would removal of postings affect indexing, searching, and
the web interface?  Are there commands to "re-index" the files?  I used
to delete old archives when we were using Listserv-NJE for VM, there you
simply deleted the files you wanted to remove, then remove the listname
DBNAMES and listname DBINDEX files; this caused a re-index.  How would
this be done on Listserv/NT ?

(2) Is there an easy way to remove specific postings?  (1.8c has that
neat little GETPOST command; can listowners get a DELPOST command?)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>