Fred H Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 10:58:43 -0600
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Pete Weiss wrote:
>> SEND= EDITOR
>> EDITOR= [log in to unmask],(ACTIVE-CHEMISTRY)
(See Douglas' reply below)

Tho it may not be what the original writer wanted,
it seems to me that Peter's suggestion is often a good setup.
In my experience most "non-member posts" are really members posting
from alternate not subscribed addresses.  The rest are SPAM.

This configuration lets
o subscribers post without admin overhead (admittedly sometimes I wish
  I'd been able to reject a message from a subscribed address but not
  enough to approve everything :)

o keeps SPAM from non-subscribed address from being distributed

o does not lose messages posted from member's alt addresses
  (and gives chance to urge these folks to have no mail sub from
   alt adddresses if they expect to post from them or otherwise
   deal with the problem).

In fact I think this should be the default for discussion lists.
When I discovered that I was not (by default) notified of non-member
posts I went thru several futile attempts to get it configured.  Turned
out there was a SEND= header higher up in my configuration that I had not
noticed that was defeating my attempts.  (Would be nice if
Listserv would warn one of redundant header entries.)

Fred

Douglas replied:

--
Jan 7, 2002  Petition against bad Microsoft settlement.
More info:   http://www.mtn.org/~fholson/sig-detail.htm