Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 10:58:04 -0400
This is usually a configuration/capability issue at the client level,
rather than a LISTSERV or mail server issue. Attachments other than text
and html are encoded by the sender's email software. The interpretation of
an encoded attachment is done by the receiver's email software, or in the
the case of archived messages viewed via the web interface, by the viewer's
browser software.

I advise against the use of anything other than plain text in messages
posted to lists, unless you are absolutely certain that every subscriber
is using email/browser software which is capable of interpreting non-text
attachments, has configured their software to allow it to open non-text
attachments, and will accept non-text attachments from the list. Some
lists have charters which prohibit the posting of attachments. Some
lists are configured to reject postings with attachments. Some people
will open attachments only from selected individuals; attachments from
all other sources are deleted, unopened and unread.

--
Paul Russell
Senior System Administrator