"Mark R. Williamson" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 07:45:21 -0600
At 07:50 PM 11/10/98 -0800, you wrote:

>This person is having problems sending material to my list, but is
>receiving posts with no problem. I assume from the header that the problem
>exists on his side but don't know what to suggest. The domain given is
>correct.

Here's the gist of the problem:
>>     ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>>     ... while talking to asuvm.inre.asu.edu.: >>> HELO mmspub.
>>     <<< 501 Syntax Error. Unexpected end of Domain Name

Some system is identifying itself as merely "mmspub.", which is not a valid
format for a domain name.  It probably should be "mmspub.mms.gov" given the
from: field.

>>     From: [log in to unmask] (Jack Irion) Subject: Re: Barge Experts

In theory, the HELO command should carry a valid (and accurate) domain
name.  Many sites didn't check it, but in these spammish times many do
validate it. Apparently the one hosting your list (asuvm.inre.asu.edu) has
chosen to do so.

Since you aren't likely to persuade ASU to stop validating, Jack_Irion's
outbound mail will have to carry a valid domain on the HELO line.  How that
would be done depends on what sort of system is generating the HELO.

Mark R. Williamson