Natalie Maynor <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 Dec 1993 06:41:46 -0600
>   A colleague told me about a "LISTSERV" at intenic.net called
>  "net-happenings." From his directions I subscribed as if I were
>  subbing to a LS: mail to [log in to unmask],  subscribe net- etc.
>  But this list doesn't show up in the GLOBAL List. Is it really a
>  LISTSERV, or is it a listserv? I have heard that there are things
>  that call themselves "listservs" but they run on UNIXes and  don't have
>  the features of a LISTSERV.

You can get the answer by sending a command like 'help' or 'lists' to
the listserv address.  Here's what I got when I sent the 'lists' command
to [log in to unmask]:

> Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1993 04:30:52 -0800
> Sender: [log in to unmask]
> From: [log in to unmask]
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Cc: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: LISTS

> Here is the current active list of the 5 mailing lists served by this server:

> [log in to unmask]             InterNIC Announcements
> [log in to unmask]        InterNIC Net Resources List
> [log in to unmask]                 InterNIC NICs List
> [log in to unmask]       InterNIC Net Happenings
> [log in to unmask]  InterNIC Newsletter Requests

That's the "listserver" that has changed its name to "listprocessor"
in a later version, thank goodness.  I'm running a list with it and
was very happy to see its name change since the name "listserv" led
people to send erroneous commands to it quite often.  Some still will,
of course, but the name change may help a little.

In case you're interested, the program works fairly well but is far, far
inferior to Eric's LISTSERV.
   --Natalie ([log in to unmask])