Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:47:11 -0600
Bartek,

I sent a direct copy of my response because I was not entirely certain you
were receiving your copies from the List Owners' Forum. Unfortunately, you
replied to the direct copy.

Please send any further rounds of discussion to the Forum, so we don't cut
out the other participants in the middle of an exchange. Your reply to me is
included below, so they can catch up.

> thanks for your reply
>
> i am newbe with listserv, and i am in test phase (I manually adding
subscribers with my existing mails). i am a list owner and administrator of
my listeserv. When I posting new message, copy of message is sending
> to me (owner's e-mail) corectly, but after that I get mail:
>
> Subject: undelivered mail
> Message:
> --> Error description:
> Error-For:  [log in to unmask]
> Error-Code: 5.1.1
> Error-Text: 550 5.1.1 <[log in to unmask]>... User
> unknown.
>
> Error-End:  One error reported.
> message/delivery-status(208 B)[Save]
> Attachment(link to message that I've posted)
>
> what i am doing wrong? is there problem only in list settings or whole
listserv settings? i am using listserv15 on payrankings.com server.

I still have to make some assumptions here: first, I assume that when you
say you receive a copy correctly, you mean a copy that is delivered to you
through the list, as a subscriber. (You say "owner's address" but in fact,
the owner does not need to be a subscriber, although that is usually the
case.) If my assumption is correct, that would mean the list is working.

Second, I assume that the address with the reported error is subscribed to
the list. (There are cases where the error report is for an address that is
not subscribed, but if you are in test mode, that is unlikely.)

This appears to be much simpler than the cases we were imagining. It looks
to me as if you are doing everything right, except that one of the test
addresses on your list is not correct. It might be out of date, or you might
have made a typing error when you subscribed it. This is a familiar
situation to most list owners.

> is there any simply way to explain me how to send mails to every
subscriber of my list?

You appear to be doing that; the problem is that the subscribed address is
not working. When I get such reports, I check the address by sending a
direct message. If I get a "user unknown" report from the direct message,
the address is bad, but my list is working.

If you are able to send directly to that address but cannot reach it via the
list, then something is interfering with communication between your LISTSERV
and that email address. Depending on how much equipment is in test
configurations, it might be that mail is being directed to the wrong server,
which then replies that it does not know that user. If that is the case, a
closer analysis of the error message might reveal it came from someplace
the mail to that address should not have gone.

Hal Keen