Sherry Beauchamp <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 19:12:15 -0800
My understanding from section 4.6 of the manual is as follows:
----------
LISTSERV supports several levels of automatic deletion based on error
messages passed back to it in LMail format by certain remote systems. While
auto-delete will not solve all of your bouncing mail problems, it has the
potential to take care of most "permanent" errors (including "no such user"
and "no such host"). However, note that auto-delete ignores "temporary"
errors such as "host unreachable for 3 days", "system error", "disk quota
exceeded", and so forth, such that users whose accounts generate
"temporary" errors are not summarily deleted from the list.
----------
Because our lists are quite large, broadcast only, and many are fee-based,
the decision was made to be quite aggressive with permanent bounces.  I
just need to understand clearly what triggers the actual deletion, as it
doesn't appear that 1 bounce = 1 deletion in this instance.

Sherry

At 2:53 PM -0800 4/18/97, Sherry Beauchamp wrote:
>> Since I didn't receive any responses to my first request, I'm trying
>again:
>>
>> We've recently implemented Auto-Delete on our broadcast-only lists, with
>> settings of
>>
>> *  Auto-Delete= Yes,Full-Auto,Delay(1),Max(1)
>>
>> Previously I had it set to Delay(0), but changed it in order to be able
>> get monitoring reports.  I'm now trying to understand just how this all
>> works.
>>
>> Say on Monday I receive a Monitoring Report which states that 14
>> subscribers are being monitored.  Then on Tuesday I receive a Monitoring
>> Report which states that 5 subscribers were deleted (out of the group
>that
>> was being monitored the day before), and another 27 are being monitored
>> (which list does not include the ones being monitored the day before).
>My
>> questions are:
>>
>> Why hasn't the entire group being monitored on Monday been deleted on
>> Tuesday?  Each bounced 1 time in a 24-hour period.  Was a second bounce
>> required to trigger the deletion of the 5 subscribers on Tuesday?
>>
>> For those of you more knowledgeable than I about this particular aspect
>of
>> Listserv, what settings would you suggest I implement?  Our lists are
>> broadcast-only, with numerous topics set.  Many subscribers are set to
>only
>> one topic, and many topics post as infrequently as once every two weeks.
>> Would
>>
>> *  Auto-Delete= Yes,Full-Auto,Delay(14),Max(1)
>>
>> make more sense in this instance?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Sherry Beauchamp

   Sherry Beauchamp         Social Science Research Network (SSRN)
   [log in to unmask]                   http://www.SSRN.Com

   Leading Social Science Research Delivered to Your Desktop Daily