Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:35:30 -0500
At 14:55 11/29/2001 Thursday, Rich Greenberg wrote:
 >On: Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 01:30:34PM -0600,Winship Wrote:
 >
 >} On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Rich Greenberg wrote:
 >} >
 >} > Except if they have a full mailbox, they won't get it.
 >}
 >} Well, no, but you tried.  Delete the persistent "overquota" folk with a
 >} clear conscience.    Douglas
 >
 >I don't delete them, but I do set to NOMAIL and wait till I get a post
 >to the list "testing, no list mail in a while".

Though of course "it depends" e.g., an over-quote "free" mail account
from some subscriber that you never heard of is one extreme.

For those folks whom we do SET NOMAIL, we also use NOPOST (this assumes
that you don't use NOPOST for other reasons).  Why? this is our (esp. for
multi-owner lists) of leaving an indicator in a shared db (the subscriber
list options) that we suspended the user for a mail delivery
problem.  ALSO, when/if the subscriber finally realizes after a month
that they are no longer receiving that list's mail (20-50 mail messages
per day on one of ours), they aren't allowed to broadcast a nasty-gram to
the other subscribers "is list-Z still active? why aren't I getting my
mail????."  THEN, they either unsub, SET MAIL (but not POST), or
hopefully email listname-REQUEST@list host (which is the address
documented via the NOPOST template -- POST_EDITOR).  That's when we begin
a person-to-person dialogue about how we weren't able to send them our mail.

YMMV.