Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 12 Aug 2013 15:07:51 -0300
My default setting is NOACK REPRO. I like to re-see postings
after I've made them (especially because occasionally they
embarrass me, and I think that a good thing).

I've never actually used my own emails as evidence of anything,
but I've certainly listed my participation on (and ownership of)
professional email lists on my CV, as evidence of my scholarly
productivity and engagement in the academic community. Whether
many of my colleagues actually understand what that might mean,
I'm not so clear; I suspect many of them count it as time wasted
on social media or something.

-- Russ

> On 8/7/2013 16:54, Ian Fairclough wrote:
>
>     Another factor is saving your e-mail posts for use in
>     professional performance review. Ha! But I seriously intended
>     using e-mail for this purpose, and so created a folder to
>     keep my own posts. Not all e-mails are equal, of course. I
>     wonder if anyone has actually done this, saved a stack of
>     e-mails and claimed them as professional activity
>
> I am aware that an institution that hosts a list on a topic of
> wide professional interests brings name recognition to that
> institution when colleagues congregate at national meetings.
>
> Depending upon the content submission role of the list-owner,
> this may serve his/her reputation among colleagues. I am
> convinced that one of my list-owners was elected president of a
> state professional organization due to his visibility as
> list-owner and submitter.
>
> Similarly I know that professional discussion lists serve as a
> form of continuous training for less-experienced staff.
>
> An active mail lists "tests" the functionality of the email and
> network delivery system. This can be used to troubleshoot the
> infrastructure (email IS a mission-critical function).
>

> Pete Weiss,
> PSU retired
>

> To unsubscribe from the LSTOWN-L list, click the following link:
> http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-PEACH.exe?SUBED1=LSTOWN-L&
>                               A=1

Russ Hunt
Department of English