Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 09:51:56 -0600
At 03:22 AM 9/12/98 -0500, Winship wrote:
>On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Dan Lester wrote:
>> Anyone who doesn't know that www.lsoft.com is the URL for LSoft isn't smart
>> enough to be running LISTSERV.  The manual is easily found from the
homepage.

>As to the manual, yes and no, Dan.  Some poor souls, such as myself,
>haven't access.  As I have pointed out previously every time I try
>I am told I am "not authorized."

Well, sounds like some strange configuration problem or something.  Never
heard of anyone else who was unauthorized to go there.

>Ben says, in essence, 1.8d is finalized.  Sounds to me like a perfect
>time for LSoft to produce printed manuals. ;-)

Well, it is also a perfect time for pigs to fly, but I'm not going outside
to start looking for them.   I think that Eric and others have made clear
that that just ain't gonna happen.  In these days of instant printing,
almost instant binding, and so forth, that is going to become even less of
an option for all software.  When did you last get a printed manual from
Microsoft, WordPerfect, or anyone else producing widely used software.

To use a library example, we knew that our library would face a high demand
for the Starr Report as soon as it came out.  So, as soon as it was
available, I dumped it to a 5si (4 copies) and within an hour I had four
copies bound with pin binding, three on reserve, one at the reference desk,
so that people wouldn't need to print out their own copies at our public
workstations.   I heard on the news this morning that the local Kinkos
would gladly sell you one for $35.00 with same output and binding methods.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
[log in to unmask]   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/