Gabriel Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:43:04 -0800
FYI. I may try to organize a group buy in the Washington, DC area.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 16:19:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Christina Silveira <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Christina Silveira
(707)829-0515 ext.339
http://www.oreilly.com

March 25, 1998

New O'Reilly Release Offers Advice on Managing Mailing Lists

SEBASTOPOL, CA-Mailing lists are ideal vehicles for creating electronic
communities. All you need to run a mailing list is access to a system
that is connected to the Internet, a mailing list management software
package, and a bit of knowledge.  That is where O'Reilly's
just-released book, "Managing Mailing Lists," comes in.  This invaluable
guide is full of practical information for the list maintainer and
system administrator.

This book covers four mailing list packages:
Majordomo
LISTSERV
ListProcessor
SmartList.

All of these packages run on UNIX systems; LISTSERV runs on a number of
platforms, including Windows NT.

"Managing Mailing Lists" provides the reader with everything they need
know to pick a mailing list package and get it up and running. It
covers all aspects of setting up and maintaining the list, from writing
the charter for the list to dealing with bounced messages. Mailing
lists offer a great deal of flexibility. "Managing Mailing Lists" lays
out all the different options, such as creating moderated lists,
controlling who can subscribe to a list, offering digest subscriptions,
and archiving list postings.

Alan Schwartz, author of "Managing Mailing Lists," explains "The
Internet
has always been an ideal medium for group discussion, and mailing list
software has become increasingly available to users at all levels of
experience. This book guides would-be list owners and list server
administrators in how to get the most from the most popular free
UNIX-based mailing list servers. In 1994, I ran about 15 mailing lists,
and had become serious about tweaking my Listproc server to do what I
wanted. The Listproc documentation was fairly thorough, but spread out
and any one part could be cryptic. It occurred to me that I had never
seen a book about how to run a mailing list! Research involved setting
up endless variations of mailing lists using 4 different servers, and
putting them through their paces."

About the Author
Alan Schwartz is an assistant professor of clinical decision making in
the Department of Medical Education at the University of Illinois at
Chicago. In his spare time, he develops and maintains the PennMUSH MUD
server and brews beer and mead with his wife. Alan runs multiple
mailing lists for the Society for Judgment and Decision Making and for
PennMUSH users and developers; he has been managing mailing lists for
at least five years now.

About O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
O'Reilly & Associates is recognized worldwide for its definitive books
on free software, the Internet, programming, Linux and UNIX. O'Reilly
is a major developer of Win32 software for the Internet, with software
products including WebSite Professional (Web server software for
Windows 95 and Windows NT), WebBoard (Web conferencing system), and
Polyform (Web site form-building software).

                        ###

Managing Mailing Lists
By Alan Schwartz
1st Edition March 1998 (US)