Ballew Kinnaman <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 22 Aug 1995 10:07:22 -0500
Listowner Folks,

I have been dealing with the individual subscriber whose address has
changed, but isn't there something more serious wrong if these address
change notices are being distributed to the Allergy list members who
send/post things to the list, too?

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 14:34:56 GMT
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Address [log in to unmask] no longer valid.
>
>The e-mail address [log in to unmask] is no longer valid. Please take
>note of the new address which is:

>Your e-mail has been sent to the new address, but will
>NO LONGER BE FORWARDED after May 31, 1996.
>
>Questions should be directed to [log in to unmask]

I think these are being sent to anyone who posts to the list, rather than
to the general readership.  And I think it's because the Allergy header
says

 Reply-to= List,Ignore

Is it the reply-to option that is causing these address change notes to be
sent to posters to the Allergy list?  Or is it some incorrect setting at the
uiuc.edu site?  (I realize there may not be enough information here to make
that determination, sorry.)

Maybe it's time for me to understand the various options on this one.

What are the advantages and disadvantages?  I've read Chip Rosenthal's
summary on "Reply-To Munging Considered Harmful," and I believe I've seem
the error of my way, but how do I get right with the RFCs on this?

Thanks once again.

 Pax,  Ballew                 ~ Allergy discussion list owner ~ Y'all
Ballew Kinnaman 512/463-9321  ~  subscribe Allergy Your Name  ~ come
 <[log in to unmask]>        ~  to [log in to unmask]  ~ visit!
 Allergy LISTSERV list ---> http://www.eden.com/~kinnaman/allergy.html