Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 May 2000 15:42:56 -0400
>Hello all, I find myself confronted with a problem for which I don't have a
>solution.  Whenever the owner/editor of a mailing list goes out of town, he
>switches his Eudora settings to connect via a SMTP server belonging
>to MSN, but
>keeps his identity the same (it still says it's from his standard campus
>address).  However, Listserv (as it should) doesn't recognize him as the owner
>under these settings.

What happens?  Does he get a message back?

>The campus SMTP server doesn't allow any connections from
>non-university sources.  Is there any setting I can tweak to allow
>him to
>get through like this?

LISTSERV looks at the Sender: and From: lines to determine if email
comes from an authorized address.  (Sender: has precedence if it
exists.)  This indicates to me that one of these must be changed when
he switches to the MSN setup; if the change isn't being introduced by
Eudora then perhaps MSN's mail servers are doing something weird.  If
he sends you mail directly do you see anything odd about the From:
address, or do you see a Sender: which differs from the From:?

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support
L-Soft international, Inc