Wed, 18 Jan 1995 23:53:53 -0600
On Wed, 18 Jan 1995, Marshall Vale wrote:

>  Basically, I'm pretty sure who did it but I don't have any concrete
> proof. There is strong evidence but I'm not sure what approach
> to take. Should I just come out and tell my suspect that if he
> does it again, I'll kick him off?

A ticklish situation, if you have no real proof (have you asked your
LISTSERV postmaster/maintainer to check the console logs, whatever?).
If you are reasonably sure you know the culprit, by all means send a
*private* note to suspect, with what evidence you have.  You could send
a cc to the person's local sys. admin. if you are reasonably certain,
but that's a judgement call on your part.  In the same category would be
asking the local folk to check on the person's outgoing mail, etc. (they'll
probably refuse unless you've got plausible evidence).

There are different means of forging mail: some can be traced, if you
know what to look for, some can't.  If you aren't sure, ask your local
people for help, and the logs (mentioned above) may be of help.  But it
will take a great deal of work on someone's part, unless the forgeries
are really clumsy.

Don't send an accusation to the list, deal with it privately.  A statement
to the list that the particular items are known to be forgeries might be
good, though.

       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L