Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:02:44 -0400
On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Mike Mee wrote:

> I'm trying to solve the following scenario:
>
> - the list is public
> - the list has archives
> - posters routinely reference previous postings using the URL they get from
> either searching or in the daily digest
> - each month I want to edit the postings to munge email addresses to
> protect them from spambots crawling the archives looking for them
> - I may further want to trim some postings (e.g. remove footers) or even
> delete some postings
>
> Q: will the URLs survive the notepad edits?  Note that I'm not re-ordering
> the messages, but their length may change.
>
> Q: Or, restating the above question, perhaps, what do the parameters to the
> following url mean:

The notebooks will survive being edits with Notepad, assuming you do not
delete any of the lines that Listserv uses for parsing purposes.

Frankly, I think you can shield your subscribers from spambots in a much
easier and just as reliable method. Just make Notebooks private,
subscriptions either private,confirm, and postings private,confirm.  I
have yet to see a spambot that would bridge those steps.