Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:37:25 -0400
On 4/5/2006 01:00, Stan V. Smith wrote:

> Yes, sent from the old account.  I am getting email at the old account  (this
> one) and messages at the new one that indicate my posts were submitted for
> approval.
>
> I am guessing that the CHANGE request does NOT delete the old account,  but
> in the interim gives the new account temporary permission to send  posts
> subject to approval.
>
> I would guess once the new email address is approved (ie the change
> approved) the old address will be unsubscribed.
>
> I'll wait for a LTOWN-L list owner to clarify this, as one can only guess  as
> to what settings are on this list for subscription address  changes.

I am not an owner of the LSTOWN-L list, but I believe I can explain how the
CHANGE command works.

An address change request must be submitted from the currently-subscribed
(old) address. A command confirmation request is sent to this address, and
must be confirmed by the subscriber before LISTSERV will attempt to complete
the request. No temporary or interim privileges are granted to the new address
while the command confirmation is pending, and the list owner is not
required to approve the change request.

When the request is confirmed by the subscriber, LISTSERV will attempt to
complete the request. If the new address is not already subscribed to the
list, the old address will be changed to the new address. At that point,
the new address is subscribed to the list and the old address is no longer
subscribed to the list. If the new address is already subscribed to the list,
the change will fail, leaving both addresses subscribed to the list.

As you went through this process, you should have received at two messages
from the LISTSERV server. The exchange should have gone like this:

	You: 	Send change command from old address
	Server: Send confirmation request to old address
	You: 	Complete confirmation, either by clicking the link in the
		command confirmation request, or by replying 'ok' by email.
	Server: Send command results

If the new address was not already subscribed to the list, and you attempted
request and the time you confirmed the request, your posting would have either
been rejected or forwarded to the moderator for approval, depending on the
list configuration.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team