Tue, 7 Jan 1997 23:45:24 -0600
>  The list is open to general public and anyone interested in the subject
>  matter of the list can subscribe. The list is not commercial and it is run
>  on *.edu LISTSERV.
>  Does this make a difference?
>
>  I'm still wondering: how many lists are out there in the similar
>  situation?

I don't know, but autocaT is only one letter different from autocaD
(an engineering design program) which is tradmarked, I think.  We
sometimes get items from people looking for autocaD stuff (they're
always nonsubscribers so I disallow the postings and explain the
difference, sometimes give them hints as to wherre to look for what
they want.

We've been AUTOCAT for over six years and would hate to have to change
the name.  Everyone knows us as that, not infrequently cited in library
journals.  The recent address change was bad enough (still is), a change
of name I refuse to even think about.

What does it take, in terms of lots of time, forms to fill out, big
bucks, etc.  to register our listname before someone beats us to it?
I think my understanding is someone can take your "name" away from
you, regardless of how long you have used it, if you haven't registered
it and they have, just yesterday.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L