Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 17:06:47 -0500
On Sun, 17 Nov 1996, Kathleen Bruce wrote:

> Hi. How do I find out if there is a list for people who are either allergic,
> or who have children who are allergic, and on elimination diets?

        There are three sources I routinely use.  The most comprehensive
is Liszt, which claims a database of about 50,000 lists in all formats
(listserv, listproc, majordomo, etc.).  Liszt is essentially a search
engine for finding lists.  It's at http://www.liszt.com/ .

        For lists that run on Listserv software, there's LSoft's Catalist
site.  It, too, is a search engine for lists, but it's restricted to those
that run on the Listserv software.  It's at
http://www.lsoft.com/lists/listref.html .

        There's also Stephanie da Silva's Publicly Accessible Mailing List
site.  There's less here than meets the eye, I think, in that it gives the
impression of being truly comprehensive, but HUGE NUMBERS of lists are
missing.  It turns out that she only lists those lists that someone tells
her about.  She apparently makes little or no attempt to find others.
She may nonetheless have some that Liszt and LSoft have missed, so it's
worth taking a look, as long as you recognize the serious limitations of
the site.  It's at http://www.NeoSoft.com/internet/paml/ .

        Good luck.  I hope this helps.

        Joan Korenman

*    Joan Korenman                [log in to unmask]                         *
*    U. of Md. Baltimore County                                             *
*    Baltimore, MD 21250          http://www.umbc.edu/wmst/                 *
*    The only person to have everything done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe  *