Mon, 18 Jun 2001 12:05:58 -0700
On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 11:53:34AM -0400, Barbara Passmore wrote:

I don't see how this could be done without a filter for each mailer
that adds a bottom banner, and the filters would have to be updated
each time the banners changed. In short, it's not practical.

> As I think of this, there is somewhat of a problem about reply messages
> carrying even my bottom banner forward which is then re-added by LISTSERV.
> Perhaps that could be eliminated by stripping bottom banners, also.

This is doable. I'd prefer to see it implemented as an option to
bounce the message back to the sender with a message explaining why
the post was rejected: "Your post to XXX-L was rejected due to
excessive quoting, in particular, quoting the bottom banner. Please
remove the bottom banner and all other irrelevant material and submit
the post again."

The great majority of those who overquote include the bottom banner, and
so this option would immediately reduce thoughtless overquoting with
no effort on the list owners part.

-rex