Perrine Crampton <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 11:35:01 EST
  Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Jan 1996  02:15:18 +0200 Nicolas  Graner <[log in to unmask]>
>said:
[snip]
>>Similarly, the  problem of  digests included in  error reports  could be
>>handled  by truncating  all error  reports to  "max-error-length" lines,
>>where "max-error-lines" is a list  header keyword. Wouldn't this satisfy
>>everyone, and be trivial to implement?

>Yes,  but there's  another problem:  not all  the messages  that LISTSERV
>bounces  to you  are  bounces.  There's messages  that  trigger the  loop
>detector without  being bounces, and  then there's messages from  MS Mail
>users that always go to the  bounce address rather than the list address.
>If you truncate them, some of the  original message is lost, and the list
>owner won't be able to resubmit the message.

Eric,

What we're talking about here is limiting the length of error messages. What
about providing the ability to get error notices in digest or index format?? At
least the index format would allow us to retrieve the entire message; IF NEEDED.

The problem now, is that owners are being SWAMPED with an ungodly number of
error messages and many owners are running more than one list. This makes it
more and more difficult for owners to manage their lists effectively. I would
also assume that it reeks havoc on the Listserv's sendmail application too;
since it has to send out so many error notices.

PLEASE try to do something to help us remote owners deal with error messages
more effectively! Digesting them would be a HUGE step in the right direction!

I believe that most owners are volunteering their time, don't do this as their
full time job, have other work that needs attention and would love to continue
running their lists. However; if they're like me, they just might have to stop
being an owner (or start charging for their services) because running a list
takes too much time and monopolizes their email boxes. When it comes down to a
choice between doing "real" work and volunteer list management work, all of us
will HAVE to opt for the "real" work for which we get paid.

I guess what we're all saying is that the error messages are one of the largest
headaches with running a list. There are just too many! They take over our
Inboxes and cause us to miss work relate email.

HELP!

p.s. Even setting up an errors-to list and setting it to digest doesn't really
help. Most subscribers on one of my lists are getting the digest, therefore the
error notices contain the ENTIRE digest with the error notice! Isn't there some
way to chop out the majority of the message that was in error??