Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 May 2002 09:11:26 -0300
I have a semiautomated macro which sends this in reponse to oofbot messages:

================

This is an automatic reply to your automatic "out of office" message.

When you return, consider that setting up an auto-reply sends messages to anybody who posts to
a list you subscribe to.  Such messages serve no purpose when sent to a listserv. It would be a
good idea to think about setting your lists to nomail, if having the auto-reply is necessary.

I've made it as short as I can, because most of the people who do this sort of thing don't read
long emails about technical issues . . .  I've had a number of grateful & apologetic replies,
and never a complaint.  It _is_ an endless process, but if you automate it, it can be
relatively painless.

-- Russ

St. Thomas University
http://www.stu.ca/~hunt/