Barbara Passmore <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 00:35:38 -0500
Hi, everyone,

I am sorry to have taken so long to report back on the changing of all
AOLers on my list to FULL822 instead of SUBJECTHDR.  Because of family
reasons, I took a month off and left the list in the hands of my
co-listowner who only had only recently extricated himself from AOL.  While
I was inactive, he just reported if anyone asked that I had had trouble with
AOL and had been working on it and he didn't know what the problem was.  He
didn't, actually.

So far as AOL, changing to FULL822 has worked except for a couple of times
when AOL sent a fire-breathing error messages listing mostly different
people from their earlier error messages.  I am sorry but I don't have it to
send it to you.  I just ignored it and it has now been quiet for quite a
long time. Only about three people on AOL contacted me about no longer
having the name on the subject line, and I changed their settings back to
SUBJECTHDR with an explanation of the reason for the change.

A query to Listserv about an AOLer produces this answer:

FULL822        (Obsolete, formerly "FULLHDR") Full mail headers with
               individual "To:" field

I think AOL is not set up to harass lists when they have to respond
individually to a number of people as they do under FULL822.  The poor
people on their server don't know anything else and don't know how to change
options.  I have not made any effort to inform them.

After it goes on another month or so, I may change them back to SUBJECTHDR
and see if it happens again.  I rather imagine it will since AOL is set up
on such narrow terms.  So I may after all just leave it like it is  and let
AOL continue to get all the messages individually instead of one nice little
tidy package.  Our system can stand the pace.

AOL can fly a kite for all I care.  And I am very thankful that Ben Parker
gave me this clue and others who made me realize that only the Listserv
maintainer could handle the feedback loop.  I did not want to burden our
people with that task, and the full822 is just what the doctor ordered,
apparently.

Thanks again to all concerned.

Barbara

Barbara Passmore