Michael McNeil <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 11:35:11 -0400
At 08:07 PM 4/13/00 +0000, rex wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 02:36:09PM -0400, Judith Hopkins wrote:

>> The approach of setting each clueless subscriber individually to NOEDITOR

>This only needs to be done once, when the list is initially converted
>to being moderated. If the owner doesn't trust existing lurkers, the
>conversion can be done the other way around, manually adding those
>that are known to be trusted to the list of editors and leaving the
>bulk set to the default non-editor status.

Yes, I globally set everyone to NOEDITOR and then compiled a list of
"trusted" subscribers, setting them to EDITOR by command.

>New subscribers are automatically not editors and so their posts come
>to the listowner to be edited/approved.
>
>> We get the same results with the following features:
>> DEFAULT-OPTIONS= review
>> SEND= editor
>> EDITOR= [log in to unmask],(listname)
>>
>> The default option ensures that postings from all new subscribers come
>> to the listowner to be previewed.

I removed DEFAULT-OPTIONS=REVIEW and now everything is either edited or
bypassed, depending on the EDITOR status of the subscriber.  In my
situation, I believe that the EDITORr function to be inclusive of any
benefit to me as listowner that the REVIEW function would provide.

>The results are not the same in my experience. The posts that come
>from those on REVIEW to the listowner with the above settings are of
>the "OK" type (there is another type), and cannot be edited without
>the post appearing to originate from the listowner (unless the "From:
>..." line is changed, the LISTSERV boilerplate removed, and the
>edited post is "OK"ed when it comes to the listowner for the 2nd time).

Yes, the inability to edit (excessive quoting) was causing my biggest
problem, particularly with subscribers that had not posted before,
regardless of how long they had lurked.  I wanted that ability, for what
were otherwise acceptable posts.

>If a non-subscriber posts, I believe (haven't tested it) that the
>message that goes to the listowner will be of the 2nd type (can be
>edited with attribution preserved if the listowner's MUA supports
>Resent-*).

Yes, I had a subscriber this morning who was set to EDITOR but posted using
a non-subscribed account.  Given the SEND=EDITOR status, their post came to
me for edit.  Upon approval, Listserv processed it.  Just as a note, I
discovered that Eudora Pro 3 allows the INI file to be edited to provide
extra headers, allowing for "Resent-".

>Right, REVIEW and editor are not mutually exclusive.
>
>-rex

My erroneous misunderstanding that they might be exclusive was causing the
problem.  Thank you, everyone.  Problem solved.

Michael